North by Northwestern’s mission is to provide a newsroom for student journalists to experiment with multimedia and new technologies.
21,000 students at Northwestern University
1,900 views on northbynorthwestern.com in the last 24 hours
North by Northwestern was founded online in 2006 with the goal of experimenting with bringing journalism to the Internet.
Since a decade ago, we have:
- launched a print magazine, published quarterly, and made it available online;
- covered breaking news affecting campus (Asian American Studies major declared after nearly 21-year-long fight, Feb. 24 2016);
- asked famous people very silly questions (Jake Szymanski lived in Plex and other secrets from our Q&A with him and Adam DeVine, May 18 2016);
- had a writer published a piece about a suicide experience (Speaking up about a suicide attempt, May 9 2013);
- gave advice about sex (The road to your prostate (and a better orgasm), March 29 2007); and
- covered issues of bomb threats at college campuses (When bomb scares threaten the college experience, May 22 2012)
The Society of Professional Journalists named our magazine as the best student magazine nationally in 2009, best independent online student publication in 2010, and finalist in multiple categories.