North by Northwestern was founded in 2006 with the goal of experimentally bringing journalism to the Internet.
To achieve this mission over the last decade, we have...
- ... launched a print magazine, published quarterly, then made it available online;
- ... covered breaking news affecting campus (Asian American Studies major declared after nearly 21-year-long fight, Feb. 24 2016);
- ... asked famous people very silly questions (Jake Szymanski lived in Plex and other secrets from our Q&A with him and Adam DeVine, May 18 2016);
- ... write about a suicide experience (Speaking up about a suicide attempt, May 9 2013);
- ... gave advice about sex (The road to your prostate (and a better orgasm), March 29 2007).
We're pushing the boundaries of what's possible with journalistic storytelling. And we're still publishing.
- Northwestern celebrates throughout Winter Quarter March 24, 2017In the midst of Winter Quarter drudgery, students still found ways to relax, have fun and broaden their horizons.
- Gonzaga withstands furious Northwestern rally, ends 'Cats' historic season in Round of 32 March 18, 2017In the end, NU fell just short, but that should take nothing away from what was a season that will be remembered in Evanston forever.
- Northwestern edges Vanderbilt in last second thriller for first NCAA Tournament win ever March 16, 2017NU won in typical Cardiac 'Cat fashion, setting up a matchup with top-seeded Gonzaga.
Our mission is to provide learning opportunities for student journalists to practice and pioneer their craft.
We achieve this mission through our publications.
- The North by Northwestern magazine, printed three times a year in line with Northwestern University's academic quarters, is the carrier of the output of student writers, editors, and designers as they learn and challenge the frontiers of magazine journalism.
- The North by Northwestern news website, updated daily throughout the year with campus news, lifestyle, entertainment, and sports stories, as well as photos and videos, all contributed by our student journalists under the guidance of student editorial staff, is the publication scaffold for learning and experimental storytelling techniques, including photo, video, audio, and interactive experiences.
When students choose to contribute to North by Northwestern, they're invited to join a community of people looking to learn more about running a newsroom and experimenting with storytelling techniques.
This means we get to say we're an award-winning student publication.
We've also won other awards, including...
Our award-winning independent student journalism is available for free. Making it isn't. So we need your help.
We rely on the donations of people like you to pay for expenses related to our publication, like printing the magazine. None of our staff – not even the Editor-in-Chief – receive any stipends for the countless hours of work put into this organization.
To keep our independence, we don't accept grants, donations, or contributions from the Northwestern University administration.
We do accept advertising by Northwestern departments and offices, and donations on an individual basis by faculty and staff members, and from university students.
North by Northwestern NFP is an Illinois Not For Profit corporation with 501(c)(3) status. Donations are tax-deductible.