North by Northwestern was founded in 2006 with the goal of experimentally bringing journalism to the Internet.
Coverage and photos by North by Northwestern contributors.
To achieve this mission over the last decade, we have...
- ... launched a print magazine, published quarterly, then made it available online;
- ... covered breaking news affecting campus (Asian American Studies major declared after nearly 21-year-long fight, Feb. 24 2016);
- ... asked famous people very silly questions (Jake Szymanski lived in Plex and other secrets from our Q&A with him and Adam DeVine, May 18 2016);
- ... written about a suicide experience (Speaking up about a suicide attempt, May 9 2013);
- ... given advice about sex (The road to your prostate (and a better orgasm), March 29 2007).
We're pushing the boundaries of what's possible with journalistic storytelling. And we're still publishing.
- CARE Men’s Engagement Coordinator Paul Ang is leaving NU July 21, 2017After two years in the position, Paul Ang is leaving his position as the coordinator of men’s engagement for CARE.
- Joan Slavin has left her position as NU's Title IX Coordinator July 14, 2017After almost nine years in the position, Joan Slavin no longer holds the position of Title IX Coordinator or director of the Northwestern University Sexual Harassment Prevention Office.
- Pulitzer-winning critic Emily Nussbaum fights assumptions about TV at final CTSS event June 2, 2017Many TV critics have a set of tools at the ready for their job: the 5-star rating, the genre label and yes, the top-10 list. Not Emily Nussbaum.
Our mission is to provide learning opportunities for student journalists to practice and pioneer their craft.
We achieve this mission through our publications.
- The North by Northwestern magazine, printed three times a year in line with Northwestern University's academic quarters, is the carrier of the output of student writers, editors, and designers as they learn and challenge the frontiers of magazine journalism.
- The North by Northwestern news website, updated daily throughout the year with campus news, lifestyle, entertainment, and sports stories, as well as photos and videos, all contributed by our student journalists under the guidance of student editorial staff, is the publication scaffold for learning and experimental storytelling techniques, including photo, video, audio, and interactive experiences.
When students choose to contribute to North by Northwestern, they're invited to join a community of people looking to learn more about running a newsroom and experimenting with storytelling techniques.
This means we get to say we're an award-winning student publication.
We've also won other awards, including...
Our award-winning independent student journalism is available for free. Making it isn't. So we need your help.
We rely on the donations of people like you to pay for expenses related to our publication, like printing the magazine. None of our staff – not even the Editor-in-Chief – receive any stipends for the countless hours of work put into this organization.
To keep our independence, we don't accept grants, donations, or contributions from the Northwestern University administration.
We do accept advertising by Northwestern departments and offices, and donations on an individual basis by faculty and staff members, and from university students.
North by Northwestern NFP is an Illinois Not For Profit corporation with 501(c)(3) status. Donations are tax-deductible.